Tips on How to Paint Markmakings in Art
- Scratch over things you like. Never be careful.
- If something is outlined in black, try to scratch underneath to see if you might get a different color.
- Markmaking should be about drawing your attention away from the perfect to rethink the beauty of mistakes
- Try painting a color, letting it dry, then painting over it and then making scratches to see the colors underneath.
- You can scratch with anything and you can also use rubbing alcohol to make a rubbed-out markmaking
About this Painting
- The Birdie Garden
- 20” x 16””
- oil pastels
- contemporary abstract figurative
- contemporary abstract expressionism
- abstract figurative expressionism
- contemporary figurative markmaking
Details in the Painting
Make sure things like birds aren’t painted to look exactly like birds when nothing else looks exactly as it should.
Sometimes painting red next to emeralds and teals adds true color excitement.